Saturday, July 26, 2008

Something New, #91

This is one of those Something News, where NOT doing Something New is Someting New.

Since the first of the year, the girls and I have been saving change in a coffee can. It was my original intent that with the money we saved, we'd go see the American Girls Place in Chicago. Because I started a new job in February, I forfeited my vacation for the year.

Plus, as of the beginning of June, we only had about $37.00.

So I changed course and suggested we save our change for a day trip to the Big Water Park in North KC.

Then I found out that the admission was about $28 a head, plus $10 for parking, not to mention it would take about a half tank of gas to get there.

So I found another public pool in a suburb much closer that had pretty much everything the Big Water Park had, minus the wave pool and and swim-up bar for adults only. And it was only $5 per person.

When I've shelled out what I would have spent at the Big Water Park, I always feel pressured to get the most for my money and keep everyone moving at a frentic pace to squeeze out all the "fun" I can.

Because I spent a fifth on what I was planning, I sat on my big botto all afternoon and finished one book, and read another.

When the kids wanted something, I just shooed them off by throwing dollar bills and quarters at them and sending them to the snack bar.

Heaven.

See how not doing Something New is Something New?

No comments: