Friday, January 30, 2009

Something New, #270

As I was taking the exit downtown to my cater-waiter job, there was a homeless man with his cardboard sign on the corner where I stopped for the red light. He was literally about 4 feet from my window, so instead of trying to avoid all eye contact, I opened my window and offered him the orange from my lunch sack. He took it, thanked me, and the light turned green.


When I work a catering event, we usually have a lot leftovers. Since the client pays for them, usually members of the wedding party or host will keep them, but not always. I usually end up taking home a doggie bag or two, but a lot gets thrown out. We ended up throwing out 2 pans of pasta, because no one wanted that much, and it really won't keep more than a day or two.

It occurred to me I should what would have been thrown out and bag it up for other homeless I might come across downtown. I did take some leftovers home for myself, but didn't see anyone on my way out from downtown to give it to. I'm going to do some research to see if there's any place nearby our event space that will take something like what we have.

No comments: