Friday, January 30, 2009

Something New, #269

I always hated asking for help.

That is until I got so far into it with The Ex and there was no was of getting out of it alone. Now I'm really good at it.

So with the upcoming DC trip for my daughter, I sent out about a dozen letters to various companies asking for donations for her team.

Fundraising is not one of my gifts, as I found out last year when I headed up the bake sale committee to send The Big One's sixth grade to camp for a week. Even though we were netting over $100 per sale (which lasted about an hour an a half over the school lunch hour, once a week and we were selling things like Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Little Debbie snack cakes for a quarter a pop. That's a lot of quarters and Twinkies) apparently, according to the PTA president, I wasn't doing ENOUGH and should have been getting "corporate sponsors" to underwrite the bake sales. I found that laughable: "Dear Ginourmous Corporation, Would you provide Ho-Hos for our bake sale?"

So I'm asking for help. And since I have almost 2,000 hits on this blog, and I know it's not all me, I'm including the address to send donations to send these kids to DC. Seriously, this is the only opportunity most of these kids will have for a trip like this. About half of this school's students are from blue collar families, and a lot of single parents like myself. This team is mostly girls, too, and anything to encourage girls in the areas of science and math is a worthy cause. Even ten bucks will buy a Metro pass for kid for a day. Let's do it, Internet!

Future City - Team Lenexa
Westridge Middle School
9300 Nieman
Lenexa, KS 66214

Don't forget, donations are tax deductable!

No comments: