Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Something New, #115

Take This Job and Shove It

This isn't something I did or learned, but it's never happened to me, so I think it counts as Something New.

I work 4 jobs that bring income into the house. (I work 4 jobs because The Ex WON'T, but again, another blog.) I have my full-time paralegal job, I work a several times a month as a cater-waiter, have a home business, and still work a couple of Saturday mornings a month at the pediatric office where I used to work full-time.

That is, I worked there until today.

I received a letter in the mail today stating that "due to scheduling and availability reasons, we have decided that you last day at of employment at _______ will be August 31, 2008."

Man, that was cold.

It wasn't even written on the office letterhead, just on a plain piece of printer paper.

Tacky.

And did I mention that I worked there for four years, and the only negatives I've had on reviews were that I didn't "use my inside voice" and "make too many trips to the restroom."

Hey, I drink my required 8 glasses of water a day. When you gotta go...

They then added to please drop off my key "at my earliest convenience." I think the earliest convenience I'm going to have will be after they pay me for my accrued vacation.

The irony is, there are only 3 people who work on Saturday's and now there are two. The office runs with only 2 on Saturdays, except during "sick season" when they use three.

My math sucks, but I do know that 2 is less than 3.

I'm not that heart-broken, but the main reason I stayed on part-time was I only have catastrophic insurance for my kids, and I could take them there for free. They absolutely cannot get sick now until April, when The Ex can put him on his insurance.

Pretty much sucks to be one of America's working poor.

No comments: