Sunday, August 17, 2008

Something New, #111

If I Were a Rich Man

I love musical theater. I've always wanted to be one of the theater people, but seeing how I can't sing, dance or act, I'm happy to be a spectator.

I'm trying to pass that on to my girls, and for the past two seasons, have got season tickets for The Big One and I for Starlight Theater's summer musicals. Actually, I wanted to take her to Wicked this spring, but two tickets to that cost more than five shows at Starlight.

I think I got a pretty good deal.

This season is The Drowsy Chaperon, High School Musical, (I took The Little One to that; not cool enough for The Big One) The Music Man (my FAVORITE musical), Fiddler on the Roof, and Les Miserables.

I absolutely LOVED The Drowsy Chaperon. I'd put it right under The Lion King as far as musical theater experiences go. High School Musical was for the benefit of the seven year old, and The Music Man did not disappoint.

This week's production was Fiddler on the Roof. I have never seen it live, only the movie with Zero Mostel. It really is not one of my favorite musicals, based on only seeing the movie. It's hard to make cossacks musical, I guess.

We got to the theater late, thanks to BOTH on-ramps to I-435 being closed. (thanks a LOT KDOT!!!) I was trying to explain in a stage whisper what was going on to The Big One, but she figured it out on her own.

I have to say, I liked it much better than I thought. The stage version is much funnier than the film version, and the dancing was awesome. It still had a sad ending, but again, hard to make ethnic cleansing light.

Les Miserables is next. I know it's cliche, but I've seen it three times and can't wait for The Big One to see it.

No comments: