Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Something New, #107

Now that The Big One is practically in middle school, I've been letting her take a few more liberties. Since we're down to the last few days before school starts, I've been letting her "babysit" her sister during the day. They seem to be doing well, but I think they're getting on each other's nerves.

Today she wanted to go swimming with a friend and be dropped off at the pool with no parents. I've always liked going to the pool with them, but because of my work schedule, the sitter usually takes them during the week. The plan was that this friend's dad would drop them off, and The Ex would pick them up and bring everyone home.

She's a good kid and follows directions well, so I let her. Pretty big jump for me. The funny thing is, when I was her age, I was babysitting for the family up the street all summer. Their oldest would ride her bike to the pool by herself, and spend most of the day, and I'd be home with the little sister. My brothers and I would do the same; ride our bikes to the pool and stay most of the day. I don't recall my mother ever going to the pool.

Never in a million years would I let my kids do that at this age. Pretty sad.

No comments: