Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Something New, #58

Watching the Detectives
I was doing a search today on a case, and looked in what should have been the most obvious place, since we deal mostly with probate, the obituaries.

I found what I was looking for, and since the deceased has the same first name as my great-grandmother, I did my ADD thing and looked online for her obit. Lo, and behold, it was in the Indian Journal archives. (this link also mentions my maternal great-grandfather, GW Grayson.)

"Friday October 29, 1915 MRS. MATTIE AINGELL DIES SUDDENLY AT HER HOME SATURDAY MORNING. An Intense shock, which resulted in a vast gloom being cast over the entire town, came early last Saturday morning when it became known that Mrs. Mattie Aingell had passed away at her home on High street. She had not been well for several days and was planning to go for an operation last Monday, but no one suspected her ailments of being at all serious, hence her death came as a bolt from a clear sky to the entire town.

When she arose in the morning she complained of not feeling well and went to an adjoining room and on returning fainted and fell into the arms of her son who carried her to her bed, where within less than ten minutes she had passed away before medical aid could reach her.

Mrs. Aingell, aged 46, wife of the late Chas. H. Aingell, had been a resident of Eufaula since the early days of the town and her life and character had made her the friend of the entire people here. No more beautiful and befitting tribute could be paid her than the words of Rev. Willmore Kendall, a former pastor of the Methodist church, at the funeral services. . . Funeral services were held at the Methodist church. . Sunday afternoon by Rev. Willmore Kendall, assisted by Rev. Teer in the presence of practically the entire populace. After this the body was followed by a sad procession to the Cedarlawn cemetery where it was interred with Eastern Star honors. . . She leaves a son, Robert; four brothers, J. C. Belt of Eufaula, A. J. and G. A. Belt of Ft. Smith; J. H. Belt of Canadian; a sister, Mrs. M. E. Bender of Canadian and other relatives here to mourn her untimely death."

My grandfather would have just turned 18. He lost his father when he was about 9 or 10 and was an only child, which I always thought was unusual for that time. He married my grandmother when they were both about 19, and she was also an only child. They had known each other since childhood. I have a great photo of them together when they were both about 5 years old, as members of a "Tom Thumb" wedding. It's one of the items I grab, right after my children, if the house ever catches on fire.

I think as far as obituaries go, it's poetic, and I did notice that she was just 2 years older than I am now.

Lucky for me, now the women in my family live well into our nineties. We just completely lose our minds at about 85.

No comments: