Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Something New, #170

The Big One and I are reading the same book at the same time. We've read many of the same books, just never simultaneously.

It's been really nice. She's quite a bit ahead of me in the third book of the Twilight series, but I'm gaining on her. We talk about where we are in the books and I ask her what will happen next, and she won't tell me. It's given us something unexpected in common, and since she's 12 1/2, somethings in common will get few and far between.
It's given us new topics of conversation. An example is that the Edward character is protective of the Bella character to the point of obsession. I explained to The Big One that in the real world, if a boyfriend acted like that, it was a red flag of potential physical and mental abuse, not because he was trying to protect you from "bad" vampires. One of the characters' mortal life almost ends, due to a gang rape. The text was very subtle on this, and I had to read it a couple of times to make sure that was the intent of the author. That should give us another new topic to discuss.
I hope we can hold onto this dialog a little longer. Maybe I should slow down my reading.

No comments: