Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Something New, #299 - 304

Still in DC:

Preliminary judging for the Future City presentation in the morning. The Big One is not a presenter, but is part of the team. I was very impressed with how well they did. They did a skit that explained how their model worked, and then the judges asked them random questions. They showed a lot of poise under pressure. Check out http://www.futurecity.org/ for the winners later.

The Big One and I then took the subway (we're practically natives now) and visited the National Archives. We missed the Emancipation Proclamation by a day, but did see the Bill of Rights, Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution. It was The Big One's idea to see these, so I have to again say, I'm impressed she's interested in doing these things.

Went to the Smithsonian and I learned that saccharine is derived from coal tar. I also learned that The Big One does not know who Fonzie or John Lennon are, so I feel like I've failed her in some way.

Visited the Holocaust museum which is humbling. It's still so horrifying that something like that happened in modern times. I do have an unanswered question, Internet - where did the Nazi party get their initial funding? I assume that after they came into power, they simply took what they wanted and had their victims as labor to build the concentration camps, maintain railroads, etc., but any organization, whatever its intent, must have some kind of start-up cash flow. Who funded the publication of Mein Kampf, covered the costs of printing the propaganda that was so widely circulated, fed and clothed Hitler's army, etc.? Shouldn't these people also be held accountable? Whenever I see that Fred Phelps and his minions have staged one of their "protests", I wonder who paid for them to get there. None of the members of his "church" really work; Fred himself was disbarred, so they have to get gas money somewhere. If anyone has any theories, I'd like to know.

Saw the Jefferson Memorial. It's big and marble-y.

No comments: