Monday, September 22, 2008

Something New, #146

My Beautiful Friend Mel, (not to be confused with my Cute Friend Mel or my Young Friend Mel) has been active in the social dance community where she lives for several years. She got me interested, and I thought that it would be a good way to sneak in some exercise. She was kind enough to research online for me and found a studio near my house that specializes in swing dancing.

That was about 3 months ago, and I finally worked up the nerve to actually attend a class.

I did check it out before and was assured that if I showed up alone, it would be fine. I was the eleventh of the group that showed up, and eight of those were part of a couple.

Awkward.

The instruction part of the class was fine, because we rotated partners and everyone had a partner. We covered a lot in an hour. My dance experience is limited to tap classes I took as a kid, and 16 years of being a Jazzercise customer, but it was pretty easy for me to catch on.

The uncomfortable part for me was after the instructional portion, where there was free time to practice. I found myself standing alone, so snuck out early.

I will go back, and figure like anything else, being alone in a group is something I need to practice. I figure that taking the first step, literally and figuratively is the hardest part.

No comments: