Monday, September 15, 2008

Something New, #140

Miserable at Les Miserables

The Big One and I attended the last of our Starlight shows, Les Miserables. It had stopped raining for the first time in 4 days, until we got to the theater. Starlight goes on, rain or shine. We did come prepared with ponchos, umbrellas, towels and an extra change of clothes. It really wasn't bad.

Until the second act.

No sooner we had returned from the most awesome ladies room in the country, (40 + stalls, I'm not kidding!) that the students next to us decided that what they had to say took precedence over what was going on onstage.

Yes, it was raining, and no, they didn't have any raingear. Yes, I'm sure they were uncomfortable, but no, we all didn't really care to hear them bitch about it. After all, isn't this the generation that has access to all information at all times in their pockets? Didn't they bother to check the weather before they left? An 85% chance of rain would tell me that they would probably at least need an umbrella.

About halfway through the second act, after they had yakked through my favorite number, On My Own, I couldn't take it anymore. Usually when this happens, I just shoot dirty looks the way of the rude patron and sit there and get more and more pissed off.

So I finally decided I really didn't care if they thought I was an old bitch and that I had paid for my ticket, just like everyone else in my section and had a right to enjoy the show, leaned over and said, "Excuse me, is the play interfering with your conversation?"
That shut them up, and I didn't even care what they thought about me. And for me, that is progress.

No comments: