Sunday, September 7, 2008

Something New, #133

I took The Big One and a friend to see the sing-a-long version of Mamma Mia!

As I've mentioned before, I can't sing, but after reading the article in the KC Star about it, had to check it out.

The theater was pretty full, mostly of moms and their tweens. We sat in a row that looked like a birthday party for one of the girls. People did sing and dance along, especially the younger ones, and the birthday party girls ran down to the front to sing and dance along with Waterloo at the end. And after 30 somthing years, I realized the lyrics to Waterloo were not "How does it feel that you've won the war?" but actually "I was defeated, you've won the war." Kind of like in Superfreak where my friend Stef thought the lyrics were "Instant wine and candles" and not "Incense, wine and candles."

This is the second time I've seen the movie, and people still laughed each time Pierce Bronson sang. What were the casting directors thinking? But again, Meryl Streep broke my heart during "Winner Takes it All."

No comments: